(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Friday, October 31, 2008

A case for . . . The Uglies (by Scott Westerfeld)

I'm very particular about which science fiction books I will read. Truly I'm more of a historical, romantic, or mystery reader and science fiction doesn't normally trip my trigger. But, I have been working on trying to get teens to read more and I need to read some teen fiction so I can recommend some books to the teens who ask -- the sacrifices I make.

One of the books that passed my processing desk was the Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. I was intrigued. First of all I liked the cover. Despite the saying, the cover is one of the things that draws me into a book. I don't eliminate a book simply because I don't like (or possibly dislike immensely) the cover. If I did I would have missed out on many a great tale. Nor do I think a book will be wonderful simply because the cover is magnificent -- I have learned this by personal experience. But if a cover catches my eye I am more likely to read the book jacket or the first couple pages in hopes that the story will draw me in further.

Anyway, back to The Uglies. The story begins with Tally Youngblood who can’t wait to turn sixteen – then she will be transformed into a pretty and live with all the other pretties in New Pretty Town. Pretties have everything: beauty, fun, friends. At least that is what Tally believes until she meets a fellow ugly, Shay. Shay opens up a world that Tally has never seen nor heard of and forces Tally to question whether or not she really wants to become a pretty after all.

A pretty couple wandered down the path. Tally froze, but they were clueless, too busy staring into each other's eyes to see her crouching in the darkness. Tally silently watched them pass, getting that warm feeling she always got from looking at a pretty face. Even when she and Peris used to spy on them from the shadows, giggling at all the stupid things the pretties said and did, they couldn't resist staring. There was something magic in their large and perfect eyes, something that made you want to pay attention to whatever they said, to protect them from any danger, to make them happy. They were so...pretty.

The two disappeared around the next bend, and Tally shook her head to clear the mushy thoughts away. She wasn't here to gawk. She was an infiltrator, a sneak, an ugly. And she had a mission. (Uglies by Scott Westerfeld)


What I like: I like the themes in this book: peer pressure, right and wrong, vanity, etc. All great talking points for teens (and adults). The characters are developed well, not just in this book but in the rest of the books in the series. They were real and believable despite the fantastical backdrop.

There is a little bit of romance and a lot of adventure.

What I didn't like: Nothing that I can think of.

Other books in the series:

Title: Uglies
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Published Date: 2005
ISBN:
9780689865381
Pages: 448p


Bookspot Chris-claimer

No comments:

Post a Comment