(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Friday, July 25, 2008

The next thing on my list by Jill Smolinski

Bookspot Housekeeping:

Before I start this Bookspot review I thought I would put my two-cents in about this whole book review thingy:
  • I am a book reader. That said, I want to clarify: I read anywhere from 1-4 books a week depending on how good a book is, how long, how much time I have not to do my laundry or dishes or whatever, etc., etc.
  • I will be reviewing the books I have been reading recently, so don't be surprised if some of my favorites don't show up -- I have read and reread them so many times I might just be taking a break from them! :-)
  • I am a book optimist -- I believe there is a chance that a book I really don't like can maybe, just possibly, end well. Which means there are very few books I do not finish -- good or bad or ugly.
  • Because of the book optimist thing, I plan to review books that I luv and will probably read again and again and again, books that I like, books that are ok but I probably won't read again, and books that I really don't like.
  • REMEMBER!: These are my own personal opinions -- I may love them you may not; you may love them I may not. The world will still go round.


This book I finished at the beginning of last week. It is what I would call easy reading. No technical terms, no clues that you have to keep track of to really get the storyline. I would consider it "beach reading." (I don't have anything against this type of book -- I actually read quite a few of these.)

First of all, I love the cover art. They say you should never judge a book by a cover -- but I do. That doesn't mean I discount an ugly cover but it will probably take me a little longer to pick it up.

June is an average "Jane." She works for Los Angeles Rideshare. Has few friends. Struggles with a few added pounds. Lives an unremarkable life.

One evening she gives an acquaintance a ride and ends up changing both of their lives. After a car accident where her acquaintance dies, June finds herself in possession of her passenger's list -- "20 things to do by my 25th birthday."

With only two items crossed off the list, June feels "compelled by both guilt and a desire to set things right to finish the list." List items ranged from running a 5K to changing someone's life to kissing a stranger.

I liked the premise of this book. The life list. A challenge to oneself to become different or better. A challenge to experience something new. To step out of my comfort zone and stretch myself. It made me think about what I might have on my list of things I want to do or accomplish in my life.

I do know one thing on my list -- it has been on my list since high school: I want to visit Montana.

What's on your list?

Note: This book is pretty "clean" but there are some passages that use some profanity. Enough that I noticed.

For more information on life lists visit the author's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment