(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Monday, April 21, 2008

Rejoice

Rejoice always. I Thessalonians 5:16

One of my favorite scripture passages to read and meditate on is Philippians.

The book of Philippians was written by the apostle Paul to the believers in Philippi (a city in Macedonia – now ?) around A.D. 60. During this time Paul was far away from his friends in Rome awaiting trial. He was under house arrest, kept imprisoned by military guards.

Knowing this, I find it amazing that Paul could speak of his joy or rejoicing at least 16 times throughout this letter.

It forces me to question how my heart would respond in a similar situation:

  • Would I dwell on the joy in my life in the midst of frustration, disappointment, and unforeseeable trials?
  • Or would I wallow in my own self pity?
  • Would my focus be on Christ my Savior, my Friend?
  • Or would I focus on myself?
  • Would I “Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I will say, rejoice!”? Philippians 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment