(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fool's

Today is April Fools day. Personally, I don't celebrate this day -- never have, most likely never will.

But my curious mind wondered where the "day" came from so I did a little research.

Basically, the holiday for fools came about when countries adopted January 1 as New Year's Day -- previously it had been April 1st. So instead of paying calls and giving gifts on April 1st people did it on January 1st.

I don't know what is involved in changing a holiday but I would guess there were some people who didn't like change. (Surprise, surprise. :-)) Anyway it became practice to give "mock" gifts and play little pranks on the day formerly known as New Year's -- April 1.

For more info and some known pranks click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment