(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Monday, August 27, 2007

I wasn't gonna . . . but now I am

I wasn't going to do any posts on books. Why? I have no idea. I just had it in my mind not to write anything about the books I have read, am reading, or will read in the future. Quite possibly I thought that by writing one post on a book I would eventually only write about books and that is not why I started this blog.

My current reasoning goes a little something like this:

Self: Why aren't you blogging about books?

Me: ::shrug:: I don't know.

Self: It really wouldn't hurt you to blog about books would it?

Me: No, but I read a lot of books, what if I start to blog only about books?

Self: Well, I guess you will have to use some discernment and self-control.

Me: And what are those again?

Self: Ha-ha. Grow up a little will you?

So here is my first post about a book. You may have noticed that I have been posting a few quotes by Lemony Snicket recently. (Or you may not have but will now that I pointed it out!) I have been reading his new book Horseradish: bitter truths you can't avoid. It is a collection of Lemony Snicket-isms.

The thing I like about Lemony Snicket is the humor: "One of the remarkable things about love is that, despite very irritating people writing poems and songs about how pleasant it is, it really is quite pleasant." (p107)

His "Series of Unfortunate Events" books have the same type of humor in them. Cracks me up every time.

I also love how he uses words: "An associate of mine once wrote a novel called Corridors of Power, which told the story of various people discussing how the world has become a corrupt and dangerous place and whether or not there are enough people with the integrity and decency necessary to keep the entire planet from descending into despair. I have not read this novel in several years, because I participate in enough discussions on how the world has become a corrupt and dangerous place and whether or not there are enough people with the integrity and decency necessary to keep the entire planet from descending into despair without reading about it in my leisure time."

The way he uses words to get an idea across should seem cumbersome and verbose but I think it only emphasizes his point, creates humor, and paints a more complete picture. But that's my opinion.

So you can expect more Lemony Snicket quotes. And possibly more book posts . . . if I can talk myself into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment