(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Monday, July 2, 2007

I pledge allegiance . . .

Most of the weekend I have been thinking about the question I posed on Friday: what should the 4th of July mean to me? Here is my conclusion:

I think that the 4th should be a celebration of our past, present, and future. It should be a time to remember the actions of our forefathers -- both the declaring of independence and upholding that declaration. Both of which resulted in the American Revolution.

It should celebrate the freedom we have today. The freedom to speak, worship, assemble, and all the other freedoms we have because of the sacrifice Americans have made over the years to uphold the tenants of the Constitution.

It should be a time to evaluate the contributions we are making and can make in the future this country.

So picnics, fireworks, family are all great ways to celebrate this holiday. And I plan to take part in some of those ways, but I also plan to take some time to think about how I can contribute to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment