(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Born country . . . well, maybe adopted?

During the past two days of driving I have been listening to a lot of country music. Heh.

I know. You're thinking . . . country? how can she like country music? I know you are thinking this because I was once one of you. Hated country. Thought it was a stupid waste of time. Actually, I probably said it was a stupid waste of time. Then I started listening to it . . . and the rest was history.

Anyway, I was listening to country this week and thought I would share some thoughts on my favorites. [If you think country music is a stupid waste of time you may want to stop reading now!]

I have to say that country music is one of the only genres that can actually make me cry. However, this is not going to be a weepy post today. Maybe another day but we will start with one that makes me smile. . .

I like Brad Paisley. His songs usually make me smile, laugh, cry. His new song Online pokes a little fun at the online dating game. (The video is hilarious too!)

Another "makes me smile" song that is playing on radio now is Watching You by Rodney Atkins. A picture of how children learn from their parents: both good things and bad.

This song I enjoy because it describes my childhood perfectly . . . A Different World by Bucky Covington (isn't that a predictable county singer name!). Here's the first verse:

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
We got daddy’s belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outside


Then there are the songs that make you think . . . Lucky Man by Montgomery Gentry. I like this song because it reminds me that (although not a lucky man) I am a lucky woman. I have enough. Things could always be worse.

I am blessed.

1 comment:

  1. I was able to listen to the song "Watching You" and it is so true. There are many times that I see Anna doing something and it's something that she has seen me or Brandon do. They learn everything from us and that is why it's so important to be careful what we say or do. Gabe is saying words sooner then Anna did and he is learning from her and us. It's such a responsibility to care for and teach children.

    ReplyDelete