(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Thursday, July 12, 2007

County Fair

It is County Fair week. Which means, among other things, I get to eat corn dogs and cotton candy, sign up for as many drawings as possible, view exhibits and entries, and look at many beautifully groomed cows, horses, pigs, sheep, and various feathered creatures.

I didn't want to do too much tonight because a friend and I are going later this weekend. I walked up to the fairgrounds from my house (only about 3 blocks) and noticed the line to the 4H food booth was about 3 blocks long. I always eat at the 4H booth because its just a good cause -- the kids learn responsibility, they earn money for 4H, and the food is good and inexpensive.

So I nixed the idea of eating first and headed to 4H and open entry buildings. These buildings house all the projects (art, woodworking, sewing, design, gardening, cooking, etc.) entered to vie for ribbon placings -- the ultimate goal is to be represented at the Iowa State Fair.

After that I took the long way round the fair grounds past some of the animal barns, shortcutted past the midway, and headed back to the 4H food booth because I was really starting to get hungry. Luckily the line had dwindled to 5-6 persons. This was fine. It took me that long to decide what I wanted to order: cheeseburger, rice crispy bar, and a rootbeer.

I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment