(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Friday, July 27, 2007

Adventures in cooking

I have recently rediscovered the joy in cooking. I always liked making dinner for my family. I'm sure I complained a bit -- what teenager hasn't complained about doing a chore -- but I enjoyed cooking and baking. During college, there were the campus cafeteria, late night pizza deliveries, and snack food. Occasionally, especially once we moved off campus, there were the all out dinners. I think my roommates and I even made Thanksgiving turkey a couple years.

Since college I think I have gradually just lost interest in feeding me, myself, and I.

But lately I have been cooking up a storm. I enjoy the challenge, experimentation, and, of course, the food. Tonight I made green peppers stuffed with pork sausage, brown rice and cheese. Very delicious and easy.

I did have to make a slight alteration -- the original recipe called for hash browns instead of rice. Unfortunately, I thought I would be super fancy and make them from scratch. Which, in theory, is a great idea and I have done it before. However, this time I didn't let the skillet heat up enough before I added the shredded potatoes. Turned into a pan of very well done potatoes (that stuck to the skillet) covered by gray goop. Yeah, not very appetizing.

But all's well that ends well. The stuffed peppers with pork sausage and brown rice were excellent. And I even have some left over for another meal!

1 comment:

  1. Sound yummy! Yesterday I had the energy and decided to make homemade salsa to go along with out chicken tacos and guacamole too. Nothing makes tacos taste any better then fresh guacamole and fresh salsa. I also made a loaf of homemade wheat bread. I am planning on having some for breakfast this morning. The kids are still sleeping, so there is peace here this morning still!!!

    ReplyDelete