(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Funny story

About a year after I got my cell phone I started getting irritating phone calls. I would answer the phone and hear an automated voice tell me "the electricity is off" and then it would leave a phone number.

I didn't have anything that would have the electricity off. And even if I did it wouldn't call and tell me.

When I would hang up, the phone would ring again, and again, and again. Or, if I didn't answer the calls my voice mailbox would fill up.

I would get a couple of these calls a year. About the second or third time it happened I found that if I called the phone number right away it [I was assuming the electricity] reset and I didn't get any more phone calls for a few months.

The last time this happened was sometime in February. That time the phone started ringing while I was at work -- which rarely every happens so I don't really turn it off. At least I didn't until after this incident.

When I had a chance I called and reset the electricity.

This morning my phone rang at 7:30 a.m. Most people who know me, know that I am rarely up at 7:30 -- which means the phone call was either very important or a wrong number.

Turns out it was neither!

By the time I had gotten up to answer my phone (I was dead asleep) the call had forwarded to voicemail. When I listened to the message it was from the owner of the cabin that kept calling me.

It turns out that they had been going over the phone bill of their cabin and noticed a number that they didn't know but had been called for 5 hours in February.

Yeah . . . that was me.

I called her back this afternoon. They had a storm at their cabin in February and the power went out. They had a electrical setup that would call certain pre-programmed phone numbers to be called until someone answers, returns the call, and resets the electricity.

Apparently their son went to college in next town over and it is possible that he had my phone number before me. Aren't I the lucky one! :-)

Anyway, she was appreciative and thanked me for doing the resets and told me they would be correcting the contact information this week and not to worry about being called again!

But I think I will keep her phone number just in case!

1 comment: