(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mind-boggling

The brain is an amazing organ. I was just doing a little research for this blog and spent about 5 minutes reading about the brain and learned about 10 new things.

  • For instance did you know the human brain contains more than one hundred billion nerve cells. My brain can't even comprehend this number!
  • Each of theses cells can make connections to other cells (up to tens of thousands of connections per cell!). Amazing.
  • Every second of our lives at least a million new connections are formed. Mind-boggling.

I was thinking about "brains" because I am teaching a beginning computer class for older adults two times per week. During the teaching process I am realizing how much I have actually learned about computers since I started using computers. I look at my students (all excellent learners, btw!) and I think "I was where they are at one time."

Computers are only one part of my life. I have so many other things I have learned up to this point. So many things I don't know. And so many things that I will learn in the future.

I think I might need a bigger brain!

(More brain info!)

No comments:

Post a Comment