(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Recycling

I'm a fan of recycling. I think we were given the responsibility to protect the world around us and recycling is way for the average consumer to contribute to the conservation of our planet.

However, I have been dreading recycling lately.

This summer our town changed trash collecting companies. I really had no opinion about it -- nor did we as citizens really have a say ( I think the decision was made based on company bids). Anyway, we got all the information on trash and recycling pickup days. We got a "handy little sheet" on accepted recyclable materials.

And I continued to put my trash out at the curb on Wednesday nights for Thursday pick ups. Since I rarely have much garbage let alone recyclables I hadn't put out my recycle bin for a month or so.

During that month, I had been hearing murmurings and rumors of rejected recyclables. REJECTED. Rejected because they weren't bound correctly, not in the correct bin, because they were in a plastic bag or weren't in a plastic bag.

Now you have to understand, the previous trash collecting company basically gave us a list of items they would recycle. Each week we dumped them all in the bin. Each week the garbage men left the bin on the curb empty.

So you can understand my anxiousness. I consulted my "handy little sheet" religiously this week checking and double checking to make sure I had all the items properly bagged, bundled or otherwise disposed of.

Now I can only wait . . .

Update: WooHoo! They took everything . . . I have an empty bin once again.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like they are a bit picky. We had some lazy garage guys this week because for the last couple of weeks we have been getting rid of some old pieces of entertainment center and computer desk. Well we had the last of it this week and they did not take it and I don't know why. I think it had to do with laziness. They sure better take it next we. I will have to keep my eyes out and be on the front porch to just make sure. I'm looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete