(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Monday, September 17, 2007

I don't know about your brain but here's a little about mine


Our brains are amazing. They are made up of over 100 billion nerve cells. I don't know about you but that is hard for my 100 billion-celled brain to fathom.

Besides controlling all the body functions that keep us walking, talking, and breathing every day, our brains also interprets the world around us through our senses, lets us think, dream, & be the emotional creatures that we are.

The cerebrum is the largest part of the brain. The frontal lobe of the cerebrum performs thought, learning and memory and the hippocampus is the short-term memory center. (I love that word! I'm going to try to work it into conversation -- just to see what people say!)

Which brings me to the reason for this brainiac post. Memory. I have committed (to myself) to memorizing Awana sections along with the kids in my group. My goal is two sections per week -- which is what we, as leaders, encourage the clubbers to memorize.

This means, as I only got my book this Sunday, I have 4 sections to complete this week . . . hmm . . . maybe I should re-think this.

Anyway, I have first three memorized pretty well -- and I think they will stay in my hippocampus (yea!) until Wednesday. It's the 4th section that is giving me fits.

God gave me this amazing brain the least I can do is use it.

(By the way, for more info on brain stuff check out this link.)

No comments:

Post a Comment