(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Okay, so I'm not a sports fanatic

It always amazes me how little I know about anything!

[I know, I know, you're thinking "But Chris, you know a lot of stuff." (Or maybe you're thinking -- "You really think a lot of yourself don't you?") Hah, I know how to pretend I know a lot of stuff. Which is a good skill to have until you actually need to know something. ]

Anyway, I know very little about sports. Yeah, I watch the obligatory Olympic games. I also occasionally catch a Mets game (my sister's boyfriend is a fan) or even a NASCAR race (my brother is a fan). But these are mostly viewed to reap conversational nuggets and I usually play them in the background while I read or clean or do various other activities. I have very little understanding of all the rules and idiosyncrasies of these sports. I have little hope of ever gleaning this information because there are very few knowledgeable people with the patience to answer my endless questions.

The one sport I do enjoy is football. Not to play -- I have absolutely no coordination -- but to watch. Purely spectator. I have enjoyed football since high school. That was the point in my life I began to know enough of the sport to enjoy it. Many, many years later I still have questions about aspects of the game.

If, after 10 or more years of learning about one sport -- football -- I still know so little about it, how much more time will I need to learn about: God, my family, my friends, my job, my life??

2 comments:

  1. You're just trying to explain your 0 points. Hehe - j/k it's still early....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I saw you raking are it in!

    ReplyDelete