(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Friday, August 8, 2008

5 wildlife encounters

So today has been an eventful day. I had a class in a neighboring town and encountered all kind of 'wildlife.'

1. Scrounging House Finch -- During a class break I was watching the house finches scrounge for food outside the classroom window.

(BTW: If you ever need to learn what kind of bird you are looking at try WhatBird (dot) com -- very helpful! You can limit your search by color, size, shape, location, etc.)

2. & 3. Hitchhiking Beef Calves -- on the way home I passed two calves on the highway trying to hitchhike. Okay, not really but they sure were having fun outside the playpen. And I think they were giving the two motorcycles that passed them a second look!

(Obviously this is not an actual photo of the calves. I was driving and trying to avoid a calf sized dent in my vehicle -- plus I didn't have my camera.)



4. Startled Red-tail Hawk -- just as I passed the hitchhikers, a hawk flew up out of the ditch. I think I was just as startled as it.


5. Then I go home and found this --


:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment