(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Monday, December 29, 2008

Balance

well-balanced (adj
1. nicely or evenly balanced, arranged, or regulated 
2. emotionally or psychologically untroubled

Last year about this time I made some resolutions -- listed some changes I wanted to make in my life in the upcoming year.  Some of them I accomplished, some of them I attempted to accomplish but the result have little to be desired.

This year I am going to focus one (maybe two) changes in four areas of my life: intellectual, emotional, physical and spiritual.

Resolutions for my Intellectual Life:

  • Increase my vocabulary -- I have subscribed to a couple word-of-the-day websites.  I want to be able not only to learn at least one new word per week but also to be able to use it competently


  • Read at least 5 of the classic books I have been meaning to read (the ones that are "on my list") 

Classics to read (partial list):
  1. 1984 by George Orwell

  2. For whom the bell tolls by Ernest Hemingway

  3. The wind in the willows by Kenneth Graham

  4. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

  5. The catcher in the rye by J.D. Salinger (actually a re-read)

  6. The grapes of wrath by John Steinbeck

  7. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

  8. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

  9. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

  10. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

  11. Silas Marner by George Eliot

  12. Red badge of courage by Stephen Crane

  13. The sound and the fury by William Faulkner

  14. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

  15. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

  16. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (re-read)

  17. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

  18. East of Eden by John Steinbeck

  19. Gone with the wind by Margaret Mitchell (yeah, I know -- what have I been reading?)

  20. Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment