(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The right fight

One of the reasons I love reading and stories is they help me to visualize what my own responses might be in a similar circumstance.

This past weekend I watched my favorite western -- High Noon with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly.

The plot: As retired marshall Will Kane leaves town with his new wife he receives the news that Frank Miller, a man he sent to prison, is on his way back to town on the noon train. Before he went to prison Miller had vowed to get his revenge.

The marshall has to choose whether to stay and do the right thing. Or leave.

The movie paces quickly even with all the dialogue. It has good guys, bad guys, and everything in between. A little romance and a lot of conviction.



One of the major themes throughout this film is following your convictions -- doing what is right because it's right.

It reminded me of Daniel. A man who defied a law enacted by a group of advisors jealous of the power the king had given him and who wanted Daniel severely punished. A man who did right because it was right despite the consequences. A man who did the hard thing.
Now when Daniel knew that the document was signed, he entered his house (now in his roof chamber he had windows open toward Jerusalem); and he continued kneeling on his knees three times a day, praying and giving thanks before his God, as he had been doing previously. Daniel 6:10
I think sometimes it is just easier for me to do the easy thing. Whether it is the right thing or not. I like things to be easy . . . unfortunately they are not.

My goal is to strive to do what is right because it is right and not because it is easy or hard. Not because everyone or no one is doing it.

Because it is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment