(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Judging a book by its cover

These books caught my interest by their beautiful, unique, or otherwise eye-catching covers:


Title: The thirteenth tale
Author: Diane Setterfield
Pub Date: 2006

Genre: A little bit mysterious

Plot: A biographer interviews one of a famous and mysterious author-- now a recluse.

I started this book but it was on a reserve list and I didn't get a chance to finish it. It was very good up to the 10th or 12th chapter (I think it was the somewhere around there). One of these days I will get back to it . . .




Title: Garden spells
Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Pub. Date: 2008

Genre: Psychological/Domestic Fiction

Plot: "In a garden surrounded by a tall fence, tucked away behind a small, quiet house in an even smaller town, is an apple tree that is rumored to bear a very special sort of fruit." (via Barnes & Noble)

Sounds good so far, huh?!? Every person I have talked to that has read this book has enjoyed it. The second book by this author -- The sugar queen -- is also on my to read list.



Title: The little giant of Aberdeen County: a novel
Author: Tiffany Baker
Pub Date: 2009

Plot: When Truly Plaice's mother was pregnant, the town of Aberdeen joined together in betting how recordbreakingly huge the baby boy would ultimately be. The girl who proved to be Truly paid the price of her enormity; her father blamed her for her mother's death in childbirth, and was totally ill equipped to raise either this giant child or her polar opposite sister Serena Jane, the epitome of femine perfection. When he, too, relinquished his increasingly tenuous grip on life, Truly and Serena Jane are separated--Serena Jane to live a life of privilege as the future May Queen and Truly to live on the outskirts of town on the farm of the town sadsack, the subject of constant abuse and humiliation at the hands of her peers. (via Barnes & Noble)

Look at that pretty cover! I find the plot of this story intriguing. Sisters, small town. Plus I want to hear more about this sadsack that Truly lives with -- I really wanted to use that word in a sentence! Heehee.



Title: Hangman blind
Author: Cassandra Clark
Pub Date: 2009

Genre: Mystery/Historical Fiction

Plot: In November 1382, the month of the dead, Abbess Hildegard rides out for York from the Abbey of Meaux. This is no ordinary journey—it is a time of rival popes, a boy king, and a shaky peace in the savage aftermath of Wat Tyler’s murder—and Hildegard has embarked on a perilous mission to try to secure the future of her priory. (via Barnes & Noble)

I am a little picky on the historical fiction I read. I like my historical fiction to be a good blend of engaging storyline and historical research. I am going to try this one because it is one of loveliest covers I have seen a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment