(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Monday, July 13, 2009

Blessed

Fan (noun): an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport, pastime, celebrity, etc.: a baseball fan; a great fan of Charlie Chaplin. Origin: 1885–90, Americanism; short for FANATIC

I have never been one to follow celebrity lives religiously, to go to concerts, or scream and cry when I see a pop superstar. I do occasionally read People magazine, or click through to an entertainment news story that catches my eye. I tend to roll my eyes at said screaming, crying fans.

However, to my eternal embarrassment, there was a time that I was a closet fanatic.

During my teenage years I purchased the obligatory teen pop magazines and promptly dismantled them to post photos on my walls of all my favorite celebrities -- mostly consisting of NKOTB (on my honor I did NOT know this site existed -- I simply Googled it for linkage-sake). And when I say "on my walls", I mean, I'm surprised my mother didn't complain about the fact that the walls in my room were re-wallpapered because you couldn't see the wallpaper anyway as they were completely covered with posters. I know I threw in a couple of other teen heartthrobs but to be honest I cannot remember who they were.

Obviously, they all had lasting impact on my life [she said dryly].

A couple weeks ago my roommate received some hand-me-down People Magazines from a relative. While we were looking at them I teased her that I had picked the better of the two -- it was the best bachelors edition.

I laughed my head off when I found this in my room this afternoon:


I laughed so hard I cried.

Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. (2 Timothy 2:22)
I was blessed to have a family who put up with my foolishness and imperfections.

I am blessed that they continue to do so.

I am blessed to be able to enjoy life.

I am blessed to laugh with friends.

I am blessed to laugh at myself.

I AM BLESSED.

3 comments:

  1. It's a lot easier to make fun of you because you're foolish and imperfect (and like NKOTB). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you must have one awesome roommate!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think putting some frames around the pictures would really look nice too!! (From your roommate's mom)!!!

    ReplyDelete