(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Friday, June 15, 2007

Forget I said anything

Did I say I was happy with the summer weather? That, of course, was before I hiked up a "mountain" in 80 degrees (plus humidity). It has taken me all day to recover. Well, at least an hour or two.

A friend and I went hiking this morning. This morning because I thought "hmm . . . it being summer now, maybe the earlier we hike the cooler it will be." Hah. Wrong. Still hot. However . . .

Blessing #1: Communing with nature.

We stood 8 feet away from two deer and a fawn. (Although not this particular deer and fawn because I didn't have the foresight to bring my camera.) We also saw a raccoon, multiple squirrels and chipmunks, and a woodpecker.

It's amazing how beautiful animals are in their natural habitats.


Blessing #2: My fallibility.

I came to the realization that I am not as fit as I thought I was. I came to this understanding as I was gasping for breath two-thirds of the way up the first hill. Again as I gulped water at the top of that hill. Again as I glimpsed a bench at the top of the next hill and thanked my lucky stars it was the last hill we were climbing.

Many may not consider this revelation a blessing (I may not consider it a blessing), however I believe sometime in the future I will.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the walk down. Now what to do with the blessings . . .

1 comment:

  1. Deers.....what are those? We don't have those around here.

    ReplyDelete