(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A post with a dinosaur

Wednesday, October 6th I went out to NYC to visit the sister. Since she had to work, I amused myself on Thursday and Friday.

Thursday, I went to the American Museum of Natural History and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I got up and rode the train into the city with the sister and then she ditched me at Grand Central (j/k after giving me very detailed and accurate instructions, I would have to be extremely moronic to get lost) so she could go to work while I took the subway to Central Park west. 
Nature
There is a delight in the hardy life of the open.
There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy and its charm.
The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased; and not impaired in value.
Conservation means development as much as it does protection.
~Theodore Roosevelt (Roosevelt Memorial rotunda)
 While waiting for the museum to open, I sat on a bench on the grounds and people-watched while having some coffee & a scone.

The above photo is the statue of Theodore Roosevelt that stands at the entrance of the museum. 

To the right is a photo of a mosquito 75 times it's actual size.
Manhood
A man's usefulness depends upon his living up to his ideals insofar as he can.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
All daring and courage, all iron endurance of misfortune-make for a finer, nobler type of manhood.
Only those are fit to live who do not fear to die and none are fit to die who have shrunk from the joy of life and the duty of life.
~ Theodore Roosevelt (Roosevelt Memorial rotunda)






This tree was started growing in 550 A.D. and was cut down in 1891. I can't remember where the tree was growing but I do know it was somewhere in the United States.

My favorite part of the museum was the animal dioramas.  They were amazing!




And I couldn't leave without a photo of some dinosaur bones...


Youth

I want to see you game, boys, I want to see you brave and manly, and I also want to see you gentle and tender.
Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground.
Courage, hard work, self-mastery, and intelligent effort are all essential to successful life.
Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike.
~Theodore Roosevelt (Roosevelt Memorial rotunda)
I was very impressed with Theodore Roosevelt. So impressed in fact that I purchased a biography on him at a bookstore on Friday. 

1 comment:

  1. And don't forget you went to his birthplace....for free!

    ReplyDelete