(blĕs'ĭng) n. Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity; a boon

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Inspired... ?

This winter, my plan is to go through my entire house and PURGE.  I want to toss, recycle, donate, and set aside for garage sale as much of my possessions as I possibly can.

There are a couple of reasons for this:

  1. I'm attempting to simplify my life.  The less stuff I have the less I have to clean , to put away, to store, etc.
  2. I am trying to be more frugal.  I heard somewhere that the less stuff you have (even just sitting around) the less you waste--money and time.  Which makes sense--the more you have the more you have the more time and money you spend taking care of it.
  3. I want to avoid becoming a dedicated packrat.  This is one of the most difficult. I come from a line of packrats--my grampa, my dad--who tend to save any and everything.  I tend to be a saver and I want to be saving only the most important things.
I'm sure I will think other reasons but those are the major ones.  As I go through rooms I will be doing some deep cleaning. Cleaning is not one of my favorite chores.  Needless to say, the house hasn't had a really good cleaning since I moved in.  I have dusted, vacuumed, etc. but I want to wash walls and clean all the nooks and cranies that don't normally get cleaned.

I have been plotting and planning the last month or so. This is to say I have been procrastinating as much as I possibly could.  I was inspired to start by a friend's post about all the things she did this week... and I have to admit I felt a little guilty that I had been lazing around and not getting down to business.

Anyway. Operation Depurate is underway.

To commemorate the first day I took some clean photos...I'm not to the point where I can force myself to post any BEFORE photos yet.  But I started with my shower.  I wanted to start with something a little easy so as to not overwhelm myself.  I tossed a lot of extras that were just sitting around because I just hadn't gotten rid of them. Then I scrubbed everything clean.  I am trying to use all natural cleaners. As I post this my shower curtain is on the spin cycle in the washing machine and as soon as I put it back up I will have completed step one of Operation Depurate.



They aren't the best photos but they capture the moment & the cleanliness.

2 comments:

  1. Great job. I think it's great to take before and after pictures, but I forget many times. I'm glad to have inspired you. I have missed your post, but maybe you can post your projects on here. Here is a post to a blog that I love to read. http://orgjunkie.com/ Maybe you can find some other blogs that people are posting and talking about there purging of stuff.

    I've really been cleaning and trying to figure out if we need it or not because with the possibility of moving I don't want to move things we don't need them. My hubby is more of a pack rate then me, but I even get him to go through his stuff. Then I check on eBay to see if I can sell it and make some money from it. If not then it goes in the garage sale pile. Then this spring after the garage sales are done the rest will go to goodwill. I have made a lot of money from selling items on eBay and it's so easy to do.

    I look forward to hearing more of your purging. I may even do more post on before and after of my cleaning and organizing.

    Phil 4:13

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do the same thing. I also come from a line one "hoarders" who save any and everything. I'm a closet hoarder, I shove all my junk into closets and then deal with it on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete